Things I have been loving and/or obsessed with lately:
- This cover of Metallica’s Nothing Else Matters by Phoebe Bridgers. It came on during a Spotify playlist earlier in July and I have now become obsessed with it. Subsequently I have started listening to Phoebe’s music as well, which as it turns out, is right up my alley. There’s also a Miley Cyrus cover of that same song but I don’t like it nearly as much.
- The final season of Better Call Saul—Holy Smokes, it has been a good one! Two episodes left and we will finally have some closure to the entire Breaking Bad enterprise. I had thought about doing a BB re-watch once BCS ended but because we flash forward to a different timeline with “Gene” towards the end of the season I’m not sure it will totally work.
- Thai Iced Tea! Sometime this year I stopped getting a Starbucks when I went grocery shopping at Kroger (there’s one inside the store) and started going to this bubble tea place in the same shopping center. It’s been a delightful change but with the price of everything and its dog going up, I decided I should try to see if it was easy to make at home. Turns out that it is so I bought some thai tea from Amazon and some half and half and have been experimenting with my own tea at home. I’ve only made two teas, the first wasn’t quite sweet enough, and after tinkering the second round seems to have gone much better. Now I need to see about procuring some boba for that chewy taste and some giant straws to suck them up and I might be in business! This is the brand I bought off of Amazon. And this is a decent recipe but there’s a recipe on the tea bag as well. I have adjusted mine to two tablespoons of tea to 1c of water and used a metal mesh tea bag the second go around instead of doing loose leaf and filtering after boiling. I need to figure out a good ratio for making it in bulk and keeping it in the fridge at work so I can have an after lunch tea every day.
- I don’t know if this is quite an obsession, but I am rewatching Schitt’s Creek again. I think this might be my third time around but it is always a delight and the short 20-23 minute episodes are easily digestible. There’s just something sweet and comforting about zoning out to a happy little show and I will never not love and crack up over Moira saying bébé.
- Another I-don’t-know-if-it’s-an-obsession-obsession item would be seeing my phone every Sunday telling me my time on it has decreased even more each week. Switching to using some social media on my computer versus my phone has helped a lot but I still pick up my phone a lot more than I would like. Still working on it! Sometimes I just can’t focus on reading a book and a lot of times me being on the phone means keeping me awake as I will generally fall asleep pretty easily in the car if I’m not focused on anything. One thing I need to get off my Kindle is Twitter, which has been a workaround for that on my phone. Which of course this means I end up scrolling Twitter instead of reading. *facepalm*. I’m trying!
I’ll end this by noting that it’s a cozy Sunday afternoon here. Forest is watching Pokémon, and I have some chores I need to finish up, but I can tell the seasons are changing. It’s dry out but I’m now noticing a subtle shift in the sun. Fall is around the corner (ish).