Friends,  Texas

Snow Day

It feels like forever since I’ve written here. I better get used to it—you too—because after looking at our proposed stops it appears I might only be on once a week or even a bit longer than that.

After leaving the Dallas side of the family on Tuesday morning we drove to East Texas, near Tyler, to see one of my bff’s Michelle at her house. We left early in order to beat the snow that was moving from the west across the DFW metroplex. We made it to Terrell, just east of Dallas on I-30, when the snow started. It snowed the entire day and melted as it hit the ground, that is until about 4pm when it decided to start sticking. Then, my friend, it was snowball fight time!

It was so beautiful to watch it start accumulating. We were at Michelle’s mom and dad’s house, which is five minutes from hers, and they have a huge picture window in their living room. They get a ton of birds in the yard, cardinals and bluebirds and others, and seeing them playing in the snow was magical.


Chris and Michelle started a snowball war…




It started sticking more and we went back to Michelle’s house because her husband John Paul was home. It was more snow fun over there:

John Paul…

Kylen, their daughter, throwing her own mini-snowball. She wanted to join in the fun!



Michelle made a really large one to try to get back at Chris; he was throwing some doozies!

This is one of my favorite photos I took of Kylen because she was so interested in the camera and her cute little face makes me smile. She’s a sweet little girl.

It was a fun overnight trip, one I really wish I could do more often. We drove all sorts of backroads through there, looking for birds. The bluebirds were really cool, and I don’t recall seeing them before. However, we both talked about how much we see that we didn’t ‘see’ before when we were here. Like, how many red tail hawks are around or the roadrunners, too. We even saw a merlin on the interstate on the ride home.

It’s been a busy week here. We spent a lot of time and money yesterday buying food for our maildrops. We’re putting them together today; we ended up with 11. We started buying at Sam’s Club, then Walmart, Whole Foods and Tom Thumb because each place didn’t have everything we needed. We’re doing a time lapse of putting it all together so we’ll show that soon.

Two weeks until we leave!


  • Laurent

    My husband lost his fight agsanit Alzheimer’s Disease in 2003. I remember the staff’s dedication to his care and well-being. The struggle was long and difficult, but he seemed to keep a wonderful sense of humor and a child-like sweetness during his illness. Finally, passing away due to complications, he was able to escape the prison of AD. I hope that the residents soon to come to the Lodge at Old Trail find the same kind of commitment we found in his caregivers. After looking through the web site, I believe they will.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.