39 Goals for 2019
As I mentioned a few posts back in my 2018 Year in Review, I thought I might try to write out 39 Goals or Wishes to Complete for 2019. I’ll be 39 in July and so I thought I might write up a list of things I’d like to do this year instead of a random word that I seem to continue to forget sometime mid-way through the year.
I may not hit all of these but I do find when I see what I have listed that I tend to try to make things happen. At least that’s what I did when I had the 28 list, or when I write out my weekly to-do lists.
- Resubmit book proposals to publishers and find agents to submit to as well. Deadline: March/April 2019.
- Camp at one of the East Texas National Forests
- Three 1+ night backpacking trips
- Complete 5 pieces of art
- Paddle down Village Creek
- Go back to Enchanted Rock to camp
- Read 20 of the books on my bookshelf that I already have—that have been sitting there waiting for me to read them.
- Complete two more sections of the Lone Star Hiking Trail
- Master(-ish) the pistol squat
- Plan at least one more girl’s weekend trip with my friends Michelle and Stephanie
- Plan a second girl’s weekend with my mom and SIL
- Weekend trip to the Big Thicket—it’s been too long!
- Visit the Watson Rare Native Plant Preserve—same as above!
- Backpack on the Turkey Creek Trail in BTNP
- Host a plant/gardener swap for Houston gardeners
- Take Forest to the Congress Avenue bat bridge in Austin.
- See Attwater Prairie Chickens at the Attwater Prairie Chicken NWR
- Find the Bartonia texana (Texas screwstem)
- Take Forest to the San Bernard Oak
- Find 7 historical trees in our Famous Trees of Texas book.
- Hike at Lake Houston Wilderness Park
- Hike on the new sections of the Spring Creek Greenway in Harris County.
- See the whooping cranes at Aransas NWR
- Go for a spring wildflower drive and photo excursion
- Find a wild Southern Lady’s Slipper Orchid, Cypripedium kentuckiense
- Meditate consistently for 5 min a day
- Finally learn to use the SLR camera that was my grandfather’s and that I bought film for a few years ago
- Finally make mead with the kit Chris got me for Christmas a few years ago
- Learn to use my Instant Pot
- Visit the Sam Houston Statue (instead of driving by it on I-45!)
- Commit to morning pages 3xs a week
- One 6-10 mile rollerblade once a month to go with regular rollerblading and cardio that I do.
- Start a yard flora and fauna species list
- Update and revise our photography website — maybe actually do something with this?
- Brainstorm and outline a potential fiction book
- Practice my piano once a week for 30 minutes (I got a new keyboard a year and a half ago and haven’t really played on it much!)
- Make sourdough bread from scratch
- Figure out something to do with all of my grandmother’s crocheted doilies—framing, blanket, some kind of art???
- Write letters or cards regularly to my friends.
Oh boy was the last 10-15 tough! I don’t know about doing this again next year—hah! I wanted to throw some easy stuff in there and then of course some cop out type items but I refrained and tried to do things I knew could be accomplished if I at least tried. We may not find a southern lady’s slipper or the Texas screwstem but it’s worth a try. Same as the other stuff. But, it’s a start!
Alright, 2019—let’s do this!
ohmygah-this-is-so-hard…trying to come up with realistic but also challenging myself type goals…
Patrice La Vigne
What a list!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!
Misti…this is awesome. I have a great instant pot recipe for lemon caper chicken that is amazing on rice/noodles or potatoes and is still great to take for lunch to work. I’d like to expand my list too this year. I just shared it with you via your e-mail address. Thumbs up on practicing piano. I am hoping to challenge myself there as well. Love how your list is so diverse.